County FA CupsFirst DivisionLondon FA Cups

LST – FC Elmstead 5-2 AFC Cubo

London Senior Trophy Semi Final

FC Elmstead 5-2 AFC Cubo

Tuesday 25th May

Meridian Sports & Social Club


Charlie Bradford with the Match Report for Non League Chronicles

Last year’s runners-up, AFC Cubo, got off to a good start and they could have taken the lead in the 9th minute when a shot from just over 20 yards from goal with the outside of the boot by Cubo’s number 9 finished just over the top. However, five minutes later and they were in front when their number 11 took aim from the edge of the box and curled the ball into the top right-hand corner, giving Elmstead’s goalkeeper Dan Teeley no chance.

In the 23rd minute Cubo doubled their lead when their number 10 dribbled the ball down the left-hand by-line before taking aim at the bottom left-hand corner and the ball sneaked into the near post to give the lower ranked side a nice buffer.

Kyle Beckford did his best to conjure up some opportunities of a goal back for Elmstead – firstly producing a good cross from the right which Elmstead’s number 7 brought down at the back post before shooting straight at Cubo’s goalkeeper, and Beckford had a good effort of his own well saved over the crossbar four minutes later, with the resulting corner headed just over the bar by Paul Lee.

HT: 0-2

In the 56th minute Elmstead were given a lifeline when a trip on their number 10 just inside the penalty area resulted in referee Tommy Breen pointing to the spot. Paul Lee stepped up to take the penalty but blew the chance with the ball finishing well over the Cubo goal and a long way off target.

Five minutes later however and Elmstead did get themselves a goal back when a free kick from the left was met by a towering header by Briggs Ojemen six yards out. Was the comeback on?!

11 minutes later and we had our answer as Elmstead equalised when a low cross from the left went off the boot of Cubo’s number 5 and into the back of his own net with Briggs Ojemen also claiming he got the last touch. To Smiffy and I it appeared to be Cubo’s number 5 and an own goal but perhaps one for the dubious goals panel!

Elmstead were now in the ascendancy and had two good opportunities to win the game in regulation time when Kyle Beckford had an effort finish just of target and when a low cross from the right was almost put into his own net by Cubo’s number 4 but for an important save by Cubo’s goalkeeper, meaning the game went into extra time.

FT: 2-2

In the fourth minute of the first half of extra time, Elmstead took the lead when Alim Sesay took aim from just inside the box and his powerful strike went into the bottom left-hand corner despite Cubo’s goalkeeper getting a glove to the ball.

HT in ET: 3-2

After Cubo’s number 11 cut in off the left and had an effort straight at Dan Teeley, Elmstead’s number 11 Kyle Beckford all but sealed Elmstead’s place in the final in the 111th minute when a good ball through to him down the left channel saw him slipped through one on one and he made no mistake in dispatching the chance into the bottom left corner.
Five minutes later and Elmstead completed their nap hand when a ball over the top resulted in a foot race between Kyle Beckford and Cubo’s goalkeeper to the loose ball with the former winning that race before proceeding to knock the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper and into the back of the empty net.

FT: 5-2

FC Elmstead go through to take on Forest Hill Park in an all Southern Counties East Football League Division 1 final at Barking FC on Saturday 29th May.

MOTM: Kyle Beckford (FC Elmstead) for a brace of goals and a good all round display.

(Main Photo: Peter Hewett)