Premier Division

Punjab United 0-7 Beckenham Town

Saturday 17th October

Premier Division

Punjab United 0-7 Beckenham Town

Becks put together back to back league wins for the first time this season with a thumping 7-0 triumph over Punjab United. First-half goals from Danny Phillips, Tyrone Pink and Ryan Hall put the visitors 3-0 up at half-time and further goals from Tunde Aderonmu (2), Callum Henry and Joe Nwoko ensured all three points returned to BR3.

With Steve Townsend unable to play due to family commitments, it was a rare start for both Nwoko and Aderonmu up front. In defence Archie Johnson was recalled at LB in place of Jamie Brown who had picked up a slight strain the previous Tuesday night whilst Henry was drafted in at centre-half for the injured Harvey Hanifan.

A frenetic first-half could easily have ended 3-3 but instead it was Becks who enjoyed the three goal cushion thanks to a combination of some fine finishing and good work from goalkeeper Michael McEntegart.

Recent signing Phillips gave them the early lead when he scored his first goal for the club after just three minutes – feinting back before stroking into the opposite corner from eight yards out.

McEntegart then saved Becks twice – doing well to deny Luke Adams from close range, after a rare aerial error from Rob Carter, before saving with his legs after winger Louis Clarke got in on Johnson’s blind-side, cut back and with Henry desperately diving to block tried to find the net at the near post.

A corner from Will Johnson-Cole was then headed just wide with McEntegart rooted. The hosts then hit the post with a well struck effort from the left. Against stronger opponents Becks’ goal would have surely been breached but instead, after Aderonmu’s downward header had bounced up and flicked back off the bar, it was Pink who made it 2-0.

A move that had United pulled around and chasing shadows saw Junior Kaffo arrive on the right hand side of the area, hold the ball before playing in the advancing Phillips whose pull back from the byline was finished from close-range by Pink arriving unmarked in the centre. Five minutes later Hall made it 3-0 with a spectacular third – a first-time left-footed volley from thirty yards out that flew into the top corner.

Whilst the hosts could consider themselves unfortunate to be three behind, with the advantage of the slope after the break it was Becks who were firmly in control, adding four further goals.

Aderonmu made it 4-0 with a clinical finish from close-range. McEntegart then saved George Goodwin’s header from point blank range following a corner. Before Henry showed him how it should be done by climbing highest to powerfully head in Johnson’s corner.

Bertie Valler came on for Phillips and soon it was 6-0. Aderonmu turning provider when he broke on the right before his delivery was coolly tucked away first-time by the unmarked Nwoko. Charlie Busby replaced Hall and Ike Robertson came on for Carter. Aderonmu then completed the rout when he received a ball on the right of the six yard area, rolled defender Calum Ferris with his first touch and with his second slotted firmly past hapless keeper Max Ovenden for number seven.

Steve Cook Stadium, Elite Venue
Att: 78

Match Report from the BTFC Media Team – Visit their Facebook page here