Premier Division

PLT – Chatham Town 4-4 Sheppey United

Post Lockdown Tournament

Chatham Town 4-4 Sheppey United

29th May


Match Summary from ‘Football Grounds of the UK’

Within minutes of the kick off a brutal Chatham challenge on the left hand side led to a free kick which gave Sheppey United an early chance.

Sheppey regretted the wasted chance when on eight minutes, the Chatham Town number seven, Lawal, broke on the right to create a cross, for a simple tap in, which Jack Evans put away to make it 1-0.

On 14 minutes Danny Leonard for Sheppey, broke away and confidently took the ball to the left of the area before firing it into the corner to make it 1-1.

On 29 minutes a slip by a Chatham defender, let Carnegie in for Sheppey United, and he finished clinically, to put them 2-1 up.

Chatham pushed hard for an equaliser before half time with Dan Bradshaw going close, on 40 minutes.

The game erupted aggressively, just on the stroke of half time, when a bad challenge by a Chatham defender scythed through one of the Sheppey players. The players got into a melee, of pushing and shoving, before the referee calmed things and produced a yellow card for the Chatham defender. The sides went into break shortly after, with Chatham trailing 1-2.

Chatham came out, with all guns firing, after the break and equalised on 50 minutes with a second goal, neatly finished by Bodkin,

On 52 minutes, Chatham regained the lead from a penalty. Jack Evans finishing for his second and a 3-2 lead.

A minute later, a cross from the right, led to a clinical headed goal from the Sheppey United number nine, Midson, to put the scores level again at 3-3.

Chatham hadn’t let that affect them and on 68 minutes, they went back in front, 4-3, with Jack Evan’s hat-trick goal.

Yet again Sheppey United wouldn’t give in and on 74 minutes they equalised, making it 4-4 with another Midson goal.

Neither side would settle for the draw, with both going close to getting a fifth.

In the last minute Chatham created a chance to secure the winning fifth goal but the chance flew wide.

As the whistle blew the crowd knew they’d seen quite a match. This may well be the final when it is played here on the 22nd June.

YouTube VLOG from Mark Davison


Main Photo Credit: Marc Richards – Gallery