On This Day

On This Day – 6th May

On This Day – 6th May – 2017

SCEFL Challenge Cup Final

Sheppey United 0-2 Sevenoaks Town

Sevenoaks Town clinched the SCEFL Challenge Cup with a win over Sheppey United.

Harrison Carnegie put Sevenoaks ahead with a third minute strike in Saturday’s final. Billy Bennett then all-but sealed the cup win with Sevenoaks’ second on 78 minutes.

sevenoaks sheppey

With a third place finish in the table, Sevenoaks went into Saturday’s match favourites, against a Sheppey side who ended their first campaign at the higher level with a sixth placed finish.

Sheppey failed to make the most of a trio of early corners and it was Sevenoaks who struck the opening blow. Kieron McCann got to the touchline and stood up a cross for Carneigie, who curled home the early opener.

Sheppey were on the defensive for the early stages of the half and their best chance fell at the feet of Dan Bradshaw but before he could pull the trigger, Tom Ripley slid in with a great block.

It was Ripley who then almost made it 2-0 moments later, with a header that Dean Warford did well to fingertip over his bar. Sheppey defender Rob Saunders put in a well timed challenge to deny the dangerous McCann.

Sheppey had penalty claims turned down early in the second half when Timmy Babbington’s cross hit the arm of Ripley. Referee Kane Dempster wasn’t interested.

Ripley continued to be a threat for Sevenoaks from set pieces, heading another good chance that struck the bar, with keeper Warford getting a touch.

Sheppey threw caution to the wind with 20 minutes left, throwing on an extra forward in Lee Friend, but it wasn’t long before they were chasing a two-goal deficit.

Billy Bennett struck home at the second attempt with 12 minutes remaining to put Sevenoaks 2-0 ahead.

Byron Walker put a good chance over the bar for Sevenoaks late in the game and Yacine Gnahore shot wildly over with just a few minutes left on the clock.

Sheppey struggled to threaten upfront, despite the extra striker, with Sevenoaks taking the honours.

Sevenoaks: French, Edwards, Benbow, Gnahore, Ripley, Holder, Carnegie (Camacho 79mins), Bingham (Rogers 81mins), Walker, Bennett, McCann. Subs not used: Brown, Miles, Nicholls.

Sheppey: Warford, Huggins, Miller-Neave, Denny (Friend 72mins), Saunders, G Batten, I Batten, Babbington (Pagett 79mins), Fornah (Gransden 90mins), Atkins, Bradshaw.

Attendance: 744.

On This Day – 6th May – 2017

London FA Senior Trophy Final

Balham 3-2 Glebe

Glebe’s fantastic season ended with disappointment at Corinthian Casuals FC when they lost 3-2 to Balham. Ryan Golding scored from the spot to make it 2-1 to Balham then Tamer Bilal scored in the closing minutes for 3-2.

Not the ending anyone outside Balham would have wanted but when the dust settles on this final Glebe will look back with pride on a season which has seen them promoted to the Premier Division as Champions as well as reaching the 3rd Round Proper of the FA Vase.

balham 3-2 glebe

On This Day – 6th May – 2000

FA Vase Final

Chippenham Town 0-1 Deal Town

Long before the SCEFL came in to effect Deal Town went down Wembley Way and only went and returned with the silverware!

21 Years later we can look back at the day thanks to this Match Report from Graham Jones:

Roly Graham swung his leg at a cross with only three minutes left on the clock in a last ditch effort to stop the FA Vase final going into extra-time.

In doing so he unleashed a breathtaking volleyed goal that not only stamped his name in the Kent football history books, but also fulfilled the dreams of the 8,000 Deal supporters who had descended on Wembley Stadium.

The goal sparked ecstatic scenes on the pitch and in the stands as well as leading to celebrations on the East Kent coast that went on well into the night.

It was the perfect scenario for Tommy Sampson’s side to score so late in the game – it left Chippenham heartbroken with no way back.

Deal’s whirlwind finish to a match that had for so long rested on a knife-edge was beyond everyone’s wildest dreams.

The game was not a particularly good spectacle to watch, but at full-time no-one in the “Black and White” army particularly cared.

It was Deal who settled by far the quicker as they forced three corners in the opening five minutes.

But they were soon knocked out of their stride when they lost the services of influential wing-back David Monteith on eight minutes when a crunching tackle resulted in him being carried off the field.

His departure forced Sampson into an unwanted early reshuffle. Deal’s rhythm had been disrupted and Chippenham looked to capitalise as Dave Godley had a couple of near misses.

It was backs-to-the-wall stuff for Deal at times but once again their defence was watertight  while, behind them, Craig Tucker in goal proved to be his usual cool, collective self by displaying immaculate handling.

Graham was trying to pull the strings in midfield to alleviate the pressure but Deal were finding it hard to carve out any scoring opportunities.

At this stage their main objective was to get to half-time without conceding a goal. They managed to do this, giving Sampson a much-needed chance to rally his troops.

In the second half Steve Lovell and Steve Marshall were still finding it difficult to throw off the shackles of Chippenham’s strong backline, which was led by their impressive skipper Lee Burns.

But the Hoops’ strike duo were not helped by the way their supply lines were cut off behind them as Chippenham smothered the game in midfield.

Phil Turner replaced Lovell on 58 minutes to try to revitalise the Deal attack and only a few minutes later Marshall finally escaped the attentions of his marker before his progress was halted by what seemed to be a foul in the penalty area which went unpunished.

Chippenham survived another penalty appeal on 66 minutes when a driven shot by Marc Seager appeared to connect with a hand while, a minute later, Deal suffered their biggest scare of the afternoon when Steve Brown failed to take a gilt-edged chance at the far post.

Jon Warden’s introduction on  73 minutes helped to turn the tide as Deal finished in the ascendancy. Jason Ash departed from the action, Seager went back into the middle, Paul Ribbens switched to left wing-back and Jamie Kempster slotted in on the right.

The changes worked with Warden’s physical presence and aerial threat helping to strengthen a Deal midfield that was starting to tire in the sweltering conditions.

Turner and Marshall both had half-chances before the moment came that all the Deal fans had been waiting for.

A good run down the right by Marshall ended with him sending in an excellent cross which Graham met with a crisp volley into the net. It was a goal which would have graced any final at the famous stadium.

The scenes that followed were a more compelling spectacle than the game. The party was in full swing for Deal – and what a party it was!

Team line-ups

Deal (3-5-2): Tucker; Ash (Warden 74), Martin, Seager; Ribbens, Kempster, Graham, Best, Monteith (Roberts 10); Marshall, Lovell (Turner 58).

Chippenham Town (4-4-2): Jones; James (Tiley 88), Murphy, Burns, Andrews; Collier, Woods, Charity, Brown (Godwin 90); Godley (Cutler 69), Tweddle.

Attendance: 20, 083.