On This Day

On This Day – 2nd May

On This Day – 2nd May – 2016

SCEFL Challenge Cup Final

Hollands & Blair 2-0 Erith & Belvedere

Two goals from man of the match Sam Prescott saw Blair lift the SCEFL Challenge Trophy at Park View Road to end a memorable season for the club, their first at this level.
A crowd of 326 were there to see Paul Piggott’s men beat 10-man Erith & Belvedere 2-0 in a scrappy encounter to add some deserved silverware having finished runners-up in the league.
There were cuts, bumps and bruises along the way plus some unsavoury scenes in a game which saw Deres Liam Wright sent-off before the break following a silly clash with Dan Ellis.
Blair took the lead when Prescott headed home a Bryan Greenfield fifth minute corner and the midfielder secured the victory when he stretched to volley home a Brett Ince cross from close range with eight minutes remaining.
Skipper Steve Dampier, dazed following his early substitution which followed a clash of heads, and Bryan Greenfield stepped forward to receive the cup from League Chair Denise Richmond.

hollands & Blair 2016

On This Day – 2nd May – 2015

SCEFL Challenge Cup Final

Tunbridge Wells 1-2 Greenwich Borough

Mark Doig with the Match Report:

Tunbridge Wells and Greenwich Borough met in the South East Counties League Challenge Cup Final and it was Greenwich who took the honours in a hard fought contest.

Early chances went Boro’s way and Chris Saunders was unable to finish following great work by Jake Britnell.

Lewis Wood then fired just wide with Wells keeper Steve Lawrence struggling to get across.

Two late challenges on Scott Kinch went unpunished but the referee was given little choice but to produce a yellow card when Brad Potter made an awful challenge on Britnell.

Craig Holloway was called into action for the first time when punching out a swirling Dane Lutchford cross at the expense of the first corner of the match.

Perry Spackman was unable to get enough purchase on a Joe Fuller free kick to bother Holloway then Lee Radford missed at the near post after slipping Joe Vines.

Lawrence made a brilliant flying save from Wood but Britnell fired wide of the near post with the follow up. Dane Luchford then made a horrible challenge on Chris Edwards and was probably happy to escape with a yellow card.

Tom Bryant was lucky to escape a yellow for Wells when pulling back Britnell in a good position but Jack Clark gave him a greater punishment when his low free kick crept inside Lawrence’s near post.

Both league games between the clubs ended in draws and parity was restored in this final three minutes before the break when Lutchford got on the end of a deep Ian Parsons cross and volleyed beyond the helpless Holloway.

Paul Vines came close to restoring Boro’s lead within a minute but his overhead scissor kick flew just over.

Neither side made changes at the break and the second period started off far more cagily.

Paul Booth struck a shot from twenty yards that Holloway claimed comfortably then Paul Vines scuffed an effort wide at the other end.

Lawrence struggled with a Clark long ball that held up in the swirling wind but Britnell side footed into a crowd scene and Wells scrambled the loose ball away.

Both teams made changes before Boro could take a free kick, Billy Bennett replacing Kinch for Boro and Brendan Cass came on for Lutchford for Wells.

When the game restarted, Boro went ahead. Chris Edwards cross caused havoc and Joe Vines at the presence of mind to control before back-heeling over the goal line from close range.

Bennett thought he had added the third but was ruled offside after finishing a delightful Britnell through ball.

Potter was dismissed for a second yellow when taking out Danny Phillips but Greenwich Borough saw out the additional four minutes and were worthy winners.


Tunbridge Wells: Lawrence, Head, Bryant, Parsons, Potter, Spackman, Lutchford (Cass 67), Fuller, Seenan, Booth, Radford.

Unused substitutes: Boyce, Goldsmith, Sinden, Czanner.

Greenwich Borough: Holloway, Edwards, Clark, Kinch (Bennett 66), J. Vines, Day, Wood (Borrowdale 83), Britnell, P. Vines, Phillips, Saunders.

Unused substitutes: Gillman, Conner Heffernan, Cameron Heffernan.

Referee: Ryan Whitaker

Assistants: Ben Bowles & Brian Woodhouse

4th Official: Jamaal Horne

Man of the match: Jake Britnell

Attendance: 537