On This Day

On This Day – 13th March

On This Day – 13th March – 2017

SCEFL First Division 

SC Thamesmead 5-2 Lewisham Borough

The Monday Night Football came from Bayliss Avenue on this day in 2017 with SC Thamesmead hosting Lewisham Borough.
The hosts would win the game 5-2 with Josh Patrick getting a hat-trick and Billy Hollloway and Connor Dobson getting the others.
Lewisham Borough, who scored through Bryan Zepo and Jerome Richards, would finish the season at the bottom of the table, with SC Thamesmead ending up in 10th.

On This Day – 13th March – 2018

SCEFL Premier Division

Chatham Town 1-0 Tunbridge Wells
Corinthian 3-0 Sheppey United

SCEFL First Division

K Sports 2-0 Fisher
Meridian VP 2-3 Kent Football Utd
Phoenix Sports Res 2-1 Snodland Town

Stuart Zanone scored the only goal as Chatham Town beat Tunbridge Wells in the Premier Division, on this day in 2018.
On a good night for the home teams, Corinthian overcame Sheppey United 3-0 with Donvieve Jones scoring a double and Michael Hurcomb getting the other.

In the First Division there were 3 games, with wins for K Sports, Kent Football United and Phoenix Sports Reserves.
Caine Smith and David Botterill got the goals for K Sports in a 2-0 home win against Fisher.
Tunde Aderonmu was on target for KFU as was Antonio Gonnella and Geofrey Okonkwo in a 3-2 victory at Meridian VP.
Phoenix Sports Reserves had to come from behind to claim their win against Snodland Town. Jonny Miller-Annor and Richard Sesay got the goals for Phoenix following a Liam Wilkins opener.

On This Day – 13th March – 2019

SCEFL First Division

Forest Hill Park 2-0 Meridian VP
Welling Town 4-3 Erith & Belvedere

There were a two games in the First Division on this Wednesday night in 2019, with one of them being a vital game at the top of the table.

Firstly, in the other match, Forest Hill Park picked up a 2-0 victory over Meridian VP at the Ladywell Arena.

David Duru and James Shields got the goals for Forest as they ended the campaign in 7th place.

There was a HUGE game at Bayliss Avenue tonight with leaders Welling Town taking on their nearest rivals Erith & Belvedere.

This is how Mark Doig reported on the action for Kent Sports News:

An exciting Southern Counties East Football League Division One promotion tussle ended with leaders Welling Town defeating second placed Erith and Belvedere.

For the first forty-five minutes Eritlooked like they were well on their way to victory but the second period was completely different.

Harry Gamble prodded wide for Welling in the first minute before Guyliano Tresor Mpungi’s cross was half cleared to Ramell Lake for Erith but he fired wide.

Tresor Mpungi opened the scoring on sixteen minutes when cutting in from the bye-line and finishing well from a tight angle.

Ryan Golding headed wide then had a shot saved easily for the hosts before Tresor Mpungi again stretched the Boots’ back line before drawing a save out of Jack Moore.

Mehmet Piro headed wide for Welling before Golding had a shot saved comfortably by Dan Teeley, Lake took aim from a good thirty-five yards and beat Moore all ends up only to see his effort fly back off the post.

Jojo Ogunbiyi looked certain to score from Harry Harding’s low cross but Jason Mensah made a great last ditch challenge.

Tresor Mpungi had a shot saved and Quan stabbed wide as the visitors took control although, in a counter attack Gamble floated a header against the post from a deep Piro cross.

On the stroke of half time Quan got up well to head home from Lake’s cross and the Deres looked well on course to extend their seventeen match unbeaten run.

However, it all changed when Welling scored twice in three minutes to level. First Jordan Samuel fired home after Mensah flicked on Piro’s corner then Golding got onto the end of a long ball to bundle it home.

Quan headed over from a corner before Harding’s shot from a tight anglewas beaten out by Moore as Erith looked to regain their lead.

That they did when Wade finished after being sent clear by Harding’s clever flick from Quan’s long through ball.

Their lead didn’t last long. After Gamble stabbed wide, Piro found Golding and he squeezed it home from a tight angle.

Five minutes later, the Boots went ahead for the first time. Samuel’s long throw was not cleared properly and the outstanding Piro smashed it home.

Sam Bailey curled a shot over and Golding chased a long ball and headed over the out-rushing Teeley but Erith substitute Munyaradzi Bruce Muchenje got back to clear.

One last chance was presented to the visitors but Harding’s free kick hit the roof of the net.

The championship race is still wide open and everything is set up for a thrilling run in.

Welling Town would win that race, but only by a point, proving this game to be a vital one in the 2018/19 season.