FA CupNews

Match Report – Sheppey United 2-0 Welling United

Saturday 3rd October

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round

Sheppey United 2-0 Welling United


Match Report: Mark Doig for Kent Sports News


There was a major F.A. Cup shock in Kent as Southern Counties East Football League Club Sheppey United humbled National League South Welling United.

Two goals from poorly defended corners were the difference but the Ites could have scored more against a ramshackle Wings team.

However, nobody would have guessed what lay ahead in the early exchanges. Dipo Akinyemi hit a twenty yard shot that clattered the post then from a corner, Nathan Green headed forward and Akinyemi nodded goalwards but Adam Molloy got across to push it onto the woodwork and out.

Against the run of play, the hosts went ahead when they won a corner and Jahmal Howlett-Mundle met it unchallenged inside the six yard box to side-foot home.

Green had a long shot saved easily before a good Sheppey move allowed Danny Leonard to get a shot away but Dan Wilks claimed low down.

Leonard had another opportunity but curled wide then, at the other end, Montel Agyemamg was unable to keep a shot down. Experienced Sheppey striker Jack Midson headed wide before Akinyemi fired well for the Wings.

The Ites finished the first half strongly and Wilks had to tip another Leonard effort over then Billy Bennett shot just wide. Midson had the last chance before the interval and thought that he had scored when he beat Wilks but Richie Danquah got back and somehow managed to turn it over his own bar.

Early in the second period, Danquah almost scored at the other end when he met Anthony Cook’s free kick with a powerful downward header but Molloy made a stunning save. Akinyemi then stabbed a shot into the side netting before Wilks had to be alert again to tip over a shot from Harrison Carnegie.

Bennett had a great chance but his shot was deflected wide however the miss did not prove costly as Sheppey scored from the corner. Leonard delivered and an unmarked Danny Devine stooped to head home.

It looked like Welling had pulled one back shortly afterwards. Cook’s shot was saved by Molloy but it came out to Kaleem Simons and he fired home. His joy was short-lived though when he saw the linesman’s flag raised for offside.

Another good chance came and went for Sheppey when Bennett headed wide before Molloy made a further outstanding save from Rowan Liburd’s header. Molloy then tipped over a Marcel Barrington header but Sheppey had the last chance when Wilks was forced to beat out Leonard’s shot with his feet.

When the final whistle sounded, Sheppey celebrated a victory that will last long in the memories of their vociferous supporters.

Sheppey United: Molloy, Walker (Webber 53), Devine, Howlett-Mundle, Birch, Hamill, Carnegie, Bennett (Aikhionbare 86), Wilkins, Midson, Leonard (Ogunrihde 90+).

Subs not used: Taylor, Mfula, Tenyue, Crimmen.

Goalscorers: Howlett-Mundle (11).Devine (68)

Welling United: Wilks, Atwotwi (Liburd 73), Green, Mata, Danquah, Beeden, A. Cook, Agyemang (Simons 51), Barrington, Akinyemi, Clark (Ainsworth 61).

Subs not used: R. Cook, McLean, Ilic, Ryan.

Referee: Steven Hughes

Assistants: Joe McKay and Mohammed Uddin

Attendance: 300

Main Photo Credit: Marc Richards – Album here