FA Vase

Deal Town through after FA Vase drama

Saturday 18th January

FA Vase Fourth Round Replay

Binfield 3-3 Deal Town AET

(Deal Town win 7-6 on pens)

Deal Town are through to the last 16 of the FA Vase after a dramatic penalty shootout win against Binfield. With the game level at 2-2 after 90 minutes and 3-3 at 120 mins spot kicks decided the tie and although both sides had chances to win it Deal held their nerve the most and ended up as 7-6 winners. Earlier in the game the hosts had taken the lead twice, yet each time Ben Chapman was on hand to level and send us into the added period. The returning Jack Paxman then gave the Hoops the lead before Binfield equalised causing the game to go to the penalty shoot-out. Both sides scored and missed from 12 yards but eventually it was left to keeper James Tonkin to score the winner meaning Deal will now face Consett in 3 weeks time in the last 16 of the competition.

Match Report – Kevin Redsull

James Tonkin was the Hoops’ hero as they battled their way through to the last 16 of the FA Vase after extra-time and a penalty shootout in Saturday’s replay in Berkshire.
The young ‘keeper not only saved three spot kicks in the shootout, during which Binfield missed the target with two other efforts as well, but Tonkin also fired home Deal’s winning penalty to set up a fifth-round tie against Consett in County Durham next month.
Delighted Hoops manager Derek Hares said: “This really was a special day for the club. The lads were amazing and we had such great support as well.”
But the replay started badly for Deal, with Binfield taking the lead after just seven minutes through Asa Povey.
The Hoops, hoping to make the fifth round for the first time since they won the Vase 20 years ago, responded well to that early setback and Billy Munday struck the Moles’ woodwork while Jack Paxman went close after charging down an attempted clearance.
And Deal finally drew level eight minutes before half-time when Connor Coyne, despite lying on the floor, managed to set up a shooting opportunity for Ben Chapman which the midfielder gratefully accepted.
So the sides went into the break still level pegging, but within two minutes of the restart Binfield regained the lead when George Short headed home after some poor Hoops’ defensive work.
Deal again had to respond and they did so effectively, equalising through Chapman for the second time on 68 minutes after Charlie Walsh’s initial effort had been blocked on the line.
That was enough to take the tie into extra-time, where it was the Hoops who went in front for the first time early in the second period when Jack Paxman scored his first goal since rejoining the club following good work by substitute Joe Reeves.
Their Hellenic League opponents however lacked nothing in spirit or determination, as they had demonstrated in the first meeting at the Charles Ground, and within three minutes Binfield were back on level terms when Liam Gavin fired home in a goalmouth scramble.
That was the end of the scoring and what followed was one of the most dramatic penalty shootouts in the Hoops’ history, during which both sides missed kicks. And so it came down to the two ‘keepers efforts and Tonkin made no mistake with the 22nd penalty of the shootout to send Deal through and set off some wild celebrations amongst the squad and their travelling band of supporters. 

Deal: Tonkin, Hark, Maughan, Smith, Penny (O’Brien 50), Murray (Bigginton, e-t), Munday, Chapman, Paxman, Coyne (Reeves, e-t), Walsh (Alexander, e-t).

‘Kent Online’ Reaction


‘Gary House’ Photos